Library Executive Director
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by
employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job and/or department.
To plan, direct, manage, and oversee the activities and operations of the Campbell County Public Library System (CCPLS); administer the budget, staff, and physical facilities of the
CCPLS; and provide highly responsible guidance, direction and support to the Campbell County Public Library System Board.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Exercise direct supervision over Managers, Supervisors, and/or other subordinate staff.
Receive administrative direction from Campbell County Public Library System Board.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Important and essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assume full management and leadership responsibility for all Public Library System services, staff, facilities, and activities.
- Manage the development and implementation of the CCPLS goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; establish appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources
- Work with the Public Library System Board to develop and maintain short and long range planning; recommend policies to the Board and assist in their formulation; ensure the
philosophical objectives of the Board are integrated into County policies and goals; serve as staff representative to Board. Prepare agenda and discussion items for scheduled Board meetings.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal
reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct the implementation of changes.
- Work cooperatively with Public Library staff, Board, Commissioners and other agency administrators to effectively achieve goals; maintain a cooperative working relationship with
other agency staff in a similar field of service; maintain a working relationship with other professional and service groups in the community and state.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination
procedures. Assign tasks, projects and monitor assigned personnel.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the annual capital, operating, and other assigned budgets; anticipate and request additional funds needed for
staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies;
regularly review request for services, past spending and monthly reports; direct, monitor and approve expenditures; direct the preparation of and implement budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Coordinate System activities with those of other divisions, departments, outside agencies and organizations; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Develop and schedule equipment purchase and replacement.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public library management.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints.
- Represent the Public Library to other County departments, elected officials and outside agencies; explain and interpret County
programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive, significant and controversial issues.
- Meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures.
- Work closely with Wyoming State Library.
- Develop policies for selection and purchase of all materials; maintenance of library collection.
- Respond to change on national library scene and provide local direction.
- Participate in grant application processes relating to assigned department.
- Adhere to safe work practices and procedures.
- Direct, attend and participate in staff meetings and related activities; attend workshops, conferences, and classes to increase professional knowledge; serve on committees as
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of a comprehensive public library program.
- Organization and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of public library programs, policies and operational needs.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of public library program development and administration.
- Recent developments, current literature and sources of information regarding public libraries.
- Advanced principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of public libraries.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
- Principles of contract administration.
- Facility management and operation.
- Principles and practices of working safely.
- Operate modern office equipment.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction for staff.
- Develop, implement and administer goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient public library services.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of personnel; delegate authority and responsibility.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Identify and respond to community, board, and County commissioners' issues, concerns and needs.
- Prepare and administer complex budgets; allocate resources in a cost effective manner.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures and techniques.
- Oversee and prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
- Interpret and apply Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Ensure the maximum utilization of staff, equipment and supplies.
- Interpret and explain Agency and County policies and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Deal effectively with difficult people.
- Make effective presentations to large groups and organizations.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES:
Any combination equivalent to experience and
training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- Seven to eight years experience with progressively responsible management and supervisory duties which demonstrates administrative ability and leadership qualities.
Experience should be in the public sector and include management of a similar facility and programs.
- Equivalent to a Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university or a Bachelor's degree in a closely related
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR REGISTRATIONS:
Must be current or obtained within a specified time frame as defined upon employment.
Essential duties require the following:
- No undesirable working conditions or exposure.
- Essential functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for minimal physical activity such as sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, twisting upper body, and
lifting an average of 25 lbs.