The Campbell County Rockpile Museum opened its doors to the public on July 21, 1974. Ralph A. Kintz was the driving force behind the establishment of the museum, purchasing the land where the famous rock pile sits and then donating this property to the county in 1970.
The Rockpile has been a landmark in Gillette for many years. The first four settlers in Gillette centered their claims on this site. Legend has it that when travelers came from the west the Rockpile would let them know when they had arrived in Gillette. The Rockpile also was not far from the railhead of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad which arrived in Gillette in 1891. Ever since this time, the famous pile of rocks has been known by local citizens as the Rockpile.
Earnest “Buster” Lynde, an early resident of Gillette, composed a poem in 1958 entitled "A Plea For The Old Rock Pile," imploring the county not to move the familiar rocks from the land. Nearly 50 years later, the rock pile stands in its same spot for visitors and residents to enjoy.
Local Area History
View a brief history of both Campbell County and Gillette online. If you have any questions, place contact us at 307-682-5723.