This collection consists of adult fiction and nonfiction, young adult fiction and nonfiction, and junior fiction and nonfiction books recorded on CDs, MP3s or Playaways, as well as downloadable audio books. Book recordings are purchased in unabridged and abridged formats. The fiction collection includes classics and popular fiction. The nonfiction collection covers a range of subject areas including best-sellers, instructional, self-improvement, and language.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide fiction and nonfiction audiobooks that meet the educational and recreational needs of the community. In order to meet these goals, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad range of recorded books to meet the variety of likes and tastes of all patrons.
- strives to provide a balanced collection of popular and classic book recordings in both fiction and nonfiction areas.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge and popularity of the author or title. Patron requests are given serious consideration and added to the collection as warranted and as budget allows.
- strives to use dependable distributors of unabridged audio books to ensure replacement opportunities.
- purchases multiple copies of popular titles where patron demand warrants and as budget allows.
Patron demand and interest level dictate a strong collection of current popular book recordings. Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- durability and sturdy packaging of reputable distributors.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- new works.
Informal weeding takes place continuously as book recordings are checked for damage as they are circulated and/or shelved. The following criteria are considered when making the decision to retain, replace, or weed:
- significance and relevance to current classification holdings
- presence of multiple copies in the collection
- availability of new works
- titles in a series
- circulation statistics
- age and physical condition
- shelf space