Applied Sciences (600)
This is a wide ranging and varied class. Within this class, the most extensive individual collection is comprised of cookbooks of which there is a large assortment and quantity (In 1989, the Library received the entire Wyoming State Library cookbook collection at no cost.) This collection is heavily influenced by electronic sources, especially in 629 automotive repair.
- 600 Technology (Applied science). A collection of surveys of inventions and technology, both of which are popular school assignment topics, is developed and maintained. The invention/patents collection is developed and maintained. A small collection of technical drawing sources and a small collection of information on hazardous materials are maintained.
- 610 Medical sciences. This is a very large collection targeting the many classes in medicine.
- Sources with an emphasis on contemporary issues are developed and maintained.
- Some nursing sources are maintained as needed.
- An anatomy collection is minimally developed.
- A collection of sources on child development and sex education is developed and maintained.
- A collection of general health sources in nutrition, weight loss, physical fitness, birth control, and sexual hygiene and behavior is developed and maintained.
- Forensic medicine sources are minimally developed.
- Sources on pharmacology are minimally developed.
- Sources on alternative medicine are developed as this topic is popular and is becoming more widely acceptable.
- Drug information is developed and maintained.
- A wide-ranging collection covering many diseases in which currency is vital is developed and maintained.
- Miscellaneous branches of medicine including but not limited to general surgery, cosmetic surgery, sports medicine, orthopedics, dentistry, vision, and hearing are all minimally developed.
- A large collection on pregnancy and childbirth and on pediatric medicine is developed and maintained.
- Sources on experimental medicine are minimally developed.
- 620 Engineering and allied operations. This is a large and diverse collection.
- Developed and maintained are areas of emphasis in applied physics such as computer-assisted design, electricity, electronics, communication equipment and computers. Books in these subjects cover both theory and subject overview as well as how-to build/repair sources.
- Books on alternative heating energy sources are maintained.
- Mining engineering sources for prospecting, as well as some for oil and coal mining, are maintained.
- Sources on combat and military vehicles are maintained.
- A small building construction collection including sources on wells for home owners is maintained.
- A small collection on home safety is maintained.
- A small collection on model railroading is maintained.
- Broad aviation coverage is maintained.
- A large automotive collection with histories as well as repair manuals is maintained.
- A collection of other land vehicles sources stressing subject overview and repair is maintained.
- In-depth space flight and robotics coverage is developed and maintained.
- 630 Agriculture and related technologies. A collection with an emphasis on self-sufficient living, animal husbandry (encompassing both pets and livestock), and gardening is maintained.
- 640 Home economics and family living. The cookbook collection is developed and maintained. Also developed and maintained are sources on general household and housekeeping issues, house buying, repairs and renovation, entertaining, sewing, personal grooming, bed and breakfasts, and other alternative lodging/dining accommodations. Child rearing and parenting sources are developed and maintained.
- 650 Management and auxiliary services. A large collection with an emphasis on business applications and software sources is developed and maintained. Business topics encompassing office skills, accounting, and particularly focusing on management are heavily developed and maintained. Resume and job-hunting guides are heavily developed and maintained.
- 660 Chemical engineering and related technologies. A very small collection with an emphasis on biotechnology is maintained. A collection with some emphasis on technology of fuel is maintained, only developing as new sources appear on coal and oil.
- 670 Manufacturing. A small collection with primary emphasis on welding sources is maintained. Wood, metalworking, and textiles sources are maintained.
- 680 Manufacture for specific uses. A diverse, popular collection is maintained on clocks, blacksmithing, guns and gunsmithing, woodworking, furniture, recreational topics, toys, outdoor gear, and fly tying sources.
- 690 Buildings. A smaller but popular collection, it is developed and maintained with emphasis on home building, plumbing, and alternative heating and energy conservation sources.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- utilization of specialized bibliographies.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- shelf space.
- availability of new titles.
- The collection of medical sources should be kept current; therefore, the holdings in the medical field are kept up-to date, no older than three to five years in most cases.
- Technology is an area that also displays much possible crossover with related subject fields; however, the sources are kept current enough to provide accurate information.
- This class contains subjects in which information is quickly dated or even proven wrong, as well as subjects where information is nearly timeless (cookbooks). Therefore, aggressive weeding occurs in the more time-sensitive areas to ensure the availability of accurate, up-to-date information, while in other areas, retention is based more on condition and level of use.