Applied Sciences (600)
This area is minimally developed since it depends on the more comprehensive coverage of the Adult nonfiction collection.
- 600 Technology (Applied science). Current technology topics used for reports are developed and maintained. Information about inventors is also maintained.
- 610 Medical sciences. This large section of the collection covers areas targeted for young adults. Topics such as medical information dealing with sexual activity and diseases, pregnancy, birth control, sexual hygiene, body development/changes in maturation, drugs' physical effects, and mental health are developed and maintained. Anatomy information for reports on specific body parts is developed and maintained. Areas of diet, sports medicine, cosmetic surgery, and learning disabilities specifically written for young adults are maintained. Current information on diseases affecting young adults such as diabetes, cancer, hearing loss, etc. is developed and maintained.
- 620 Engineering and allied operations. In this diverse area of development for young adults, the subjects of airplanes and rocket development, history, and famous people are maintained. Boat and train sources are maintained. Environmental experiment topics are developed and maintained. Sources on automobile engines, how they work, careers, race car information, and custom cars are maintained. Biographical information about inventors is also maintained.
- 630 Agriculture and related technologies. Information with a focus on pet care, including both usual and unusual pets, is maintained.
- 640 Home economics and family living. Few cookbooks for young adults are collected since the adult cookbook collection more than meets the needs of young adults. Topics of interest to young adults' nutrition, vegetarianism, sewing, self-esteem, personal grooming, young adult parenting, and developing social skills are developed and maintained.
- 650 Management and auxiliary services. Job hunting books written for young adults and job information sources are developed and maintained.
- 660 Chemical engineering and related technologies. A small collection limited to precious metals and genetic engineering sources is maintained.
- 680 Manufacture for specific uses. A small collection with focus on popular collecting topics for young adults is maintained.
- 690 Buildings. A small collection with a total historic focus is maintained.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- limited availability of material for young adults meeting the criteria of visual appeal and appropriate vocabulary.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to young adult patrons.
- shelf space.
- The emphasis is on current medical information for young adults. This area should be no older than two to three years.
- Experimentation titles should be of current interests.
- Damaged materials will be considered for replacement by updated materials if available.