Geography & History (900)
This area depends on the more comprehensive coverage of the Adult nonfiction collection. However, this Dewey area is of great interest to young adults who mainly use this collection for reports and personal exploration of the history of the United States. The collection focuses are the historical development of the United States, as well as overviews of each state, Canada, and Central America. Works on American involvement in wars are heavily developed and maintained. A decade approach to history is developed and maintained for a sense of historical perspective.
- 900 Geography, history, and auxiliary disciplines. A small collection of geographical titles written for young adults is maintained. An overview of works on civilizations' developments, battles, and disasters is also developed and maintained. When available, time line approaches are preferred.
- 910 Geography and travel. Country travel is not developed. Works on travel from historical perspectives, such as Lewis and Clark, lost worlds, and famous treks, are maintained.
- 920 Biography, genealogy, insignia. Genealogy is not developed. Insignia sources are minimally developed. The biography collection is maintained as a separate collection of individual biographies. The 920s section offers specific biographies about classes of persons. This collection, ranging from historically famous groups to biographical collections written about young adults of the times, is developed and maintained.
- 930 History of the ancient world to ca. 499. Works emphasizing Egypt, Greece, and Rome are maintained. Information on topics such as Stonehenge and the field of archaeology is developed and maintained. Sources on the history of China and Africa are also developed and maintained. Historic Egypt and ancient civilizations sources are maintained.
- 940 General history of Europe. Specific country books offering an overview of history, geography, culture, and governing policies, but avoiding current political conditions are developed and maintained. Works focusing on the Holocaust, as well as WWI and WWII sources are maintained. Also maintained are books about famous leaders and monarchs. Information on current areas of conflict is heavily developed and maintained as sources become available.
- 950 General history of Asia. Sources on Korean War, Gulf War, and current conflicts are developed and maintained. Vietnam conflict information is maintained as a research topic. Titles regarding China, Korea, and Japan are developed and maintained with current and historical information sources.
- 960 General history of Africa. Continent-wide emphasis with focus on historical perspectives is preferred.
- 970 General history of North America. This collection has a large young adult focus. Central America and Canada sources are developed and maintained with current country information and historical overviews. Works dealing with an historical focus about the settlement of the United States, Native American wars, Revolutionary War, and Civil War are maintained. Also maintained are sources about Middle America with a focus on ancient Indians. Decade titles are also developed and maintained.
- 980 General history of South America. Works with a continent-wide emphasis are developed and maintained with a focus on historical perspectives.
- 990 General history of other parts of the world, of extraterrestrial worlds. Works focusing on Hawaii, Australia, and New Zealand are developed and maintained. Works of historical overviews for report needs are developed and maintained. Sources on extraterrestrial worlds are not developed, but development is considered if titles of young adult interest are available.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- limited availability of material for young adults meeting the criteria of visual appeal and appropriate vocabulary.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to young adult patrons.
- shelf space.
- Country books should be current with attention to changes in the world suggesting weeding.
- Historical young adult narratives of war are collected according to relevancy.
- Biography collections should be weeded as collection becomes old or no longer pertinent to young adult needs, and are replaced with newer sources as they become available.