Nonfiction - Adult
This collection encompasses both adult and young adult titles. Balance in the collection is determined by use, statistics, and demand. The Library selects materials that meet the needs of a public diverse in age and educational background. This collection is heavily influenced by electronic sources.
The Library develops a collection that takes into consideration currency, content, scope, and popularity. Some areas have very little development due to low demand.
- 000 Generalities. A small collection encompassing library related sources for periodicals, government publications, computer science, encyclopedic works, and journalism is maintained. Rare books are not collected.
- 100 Philosophy, occultism and psychology. Maintained are wide-ranging selections pertaining to paranormal phenomena.
- 200 Religion. A small collection on world religions, denominations (Christian based), and mythology is maintained.
- 300 Social sciences. Directories, statistical factual information with a world emphasis, and encyclopedic sources are maintained. Also maintained is a small collection emphasizing the social service area, continuing education sources, and communication skills with minimal development in folklore and world customs.
- 400 Language. Dictionaries and structural systems for grammar usage with emphasis on the English language are maintained.
- 500 Natural sciences and mathematics. Calendar information, world atlas information, and selections pertaining to natural history, physical sciences, and mathematics are maintained.
- 600 Technology. Sources emphasizing contemporary issues in medicine are developed and maintained. A small collection of automotive, space flight, livestock industry, and computer science selections is maintained. Sources emphasizing cooking and the "how to" areas of building and construction are developed and maintained.
- 700 The arts. The arts and crafts section is developed and maintained. A small collection of photography and music sources are maintained. Antique price guides for collectibles, and selections for the numismatic (postage stamp) enthusiast are developed and maintained.
- 800 Literature. A small core collection of American and world literature criticism geared toward student assignments is maintained.
- 900 Geography, history, and biographies. Sources emphasizing geography and travel sources are maintained. A limited historical section with an emphasis on Wyoming history and Campbell County is maintained.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- availability of a fully developed collection at the main library.
- interlibrary loan requests.
- patron requests.
- Dated materials are weeded, with consideration given for historical value.
- Physically worn materials are repaired, rebound, replaced, or updated.
- Low circulating items are weeded to provide shelf space for new materials.